keskiviikko 2. joulukuuta 2015

Wonderful Light - Quilt Guilt competition

The theme for this year's competition of our guilt was "Wonderful light".
For the first time, I decided to participate. "In real life" I am a scientist, and I decided to bring this part into the quilt. So what is light? Light is an electromagnetic wave of a variety of wavelengths. It is seen as white. If passed through a prism, the wavelengths split and a rainbow of colours can be seen. And why is this a wonderful light? Because knowing the laws behind natures phenomena does not take away from their beauty. Light is beautiful and wonderful.
So this was basically the sentiment I wanted to capture in my quilt.

As the background I chose a variety of dark grey fabrics, sewn into small log cabin blocks. The light illuminates the darkness, seen by the lighter background, as well composed of light grey log cabins.

The initial light beam is represented by silver spheres of jersey fabric. (What exactly made my use sphere shaped? That took ages!) The light beam is passed through a "prism" of two and three layers of organza. The refracted light is indicated by rainbow coloured fabric triangles, appliquéd to the background.

Handquilted with little stars all over.

So here it is:

And now my slip-up. I interchanged the required width and length. It should be "portrait" but it is "landscape". -100 points for not reading the instructions...
So it was disqualified.

Oh well, on to a new try next year.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti